Version history / release notes for each release.
Version 3.0.1 (Hotfix)
- Fixed crash on startup on Linux when RtMidi fails to initialize
- Fixed fine effect adjustment (SHIFT + drag) when multiple values are selected
- Fixed race condition when stopping song playback that could cause a crash
- Fixed small OpenGL leaks
- Fixed pattern duplication when CTRL+SHIFT were already pressed when starting the drag
- Fixed import of MIDI files containing polyphonic key pressure events
- Fixed duplicated labels when exporting projects containing multiple songs to Famitone2 or FamiStudio sound engine
- Fixed crash when double clicking or left clicking in some cells of grids
- Fixed export of VRC6 duty cycles to FamiTracker
- Properly shutting down MIDI input on Windows
- Adding error message when trying to import NSF using multiple expansion chips
- Redesigned FamiStudio tempo
- Redesigned note editing
- MIDI import/export support
- Oscilloscope in toolbar
- Optional scrollbars
- Revamped Mac version
- 1/2 and 1/4 playback speed
- Configurable QWERTY keyboard keys
- Improved sound engine music data compression (15-30% smaller)
- Audio expansion volume/low-pass filter configuration
- S5B and VRC7 and now properly low-pass filtered
- Ability to re-order songs
- Hi-DPI support on Linux
- Quick DPCM source data reload
- Improved video rendering speed
- Setting a zero volume on the volume track of the triangle channel will now stop the sound. This was always the intention (this is what SoundEngine/NSF and FamiTracker does) but it was not correctly implemented inside FamiStudio.
Version 2.4.2 (Hotfix)
- Fixed crash on startup.
- Fixed crash when exporting SFX to sound engine from command-line.
Version 2.4.1 (Hotfix)
- Fixed corruption when importing looping samples from .FTI files.
- Fixed minor graphical issue in piano roll.
- Fixed issues on Windows 7 installations that are missing some D3D11 components such as KB2670838.
- Removed 320 kbps MP3 export option since it creates choppy audio.
- Basic DPCM sample editor
- Darker theme and more color choices
- Ability to use QWERTY keyboard input without using recording mode
- Slightly reduced audio latency and configurable number of buffered frames
- Right-clicking anywhere in the background also starts a selection
- Seek bar can be dragged and respects snapping precision
- Pattern duplication preserves names when possible
- Instrument picker tool (hold "I" + click on a note)
- Paste special in Sequencer
- Pattern are created automatically when adding notes.
- Quickly repeat last export by right clicking button or CTRL+SHIFT+E
- Edit multiple custom patterns at once
- Video export resolution/framerate options (Contributed by Thomas McGrew)
- Multiple VRC7 fixes
- Multiple FamiTracker fixes
- Multiple sound engine improvements & fixes
- Blaarg smooth vibrato support for SFX
- Unlimited SFX size (Contributed by Brad Smith)
- Linker support in CA65 (Based on idea by Brad Smith)
- Songs will always be sorted alphabetically. This include songs loaded from any file format. This was always the intention but was poorly enforced in previous versions.
- There was a bug in 2.3.x where instrument with volume envelope consisting exclusively of zeroes would play at full volume. This is no longer the case and the instruments will be silent.
Version 2.3.2 (Hotfix)
- Added loop count to video export.
- Fixed scaling issues on Retina display.
- Fixed lingering noise when dragging/adding notes in VRC7.
- Fixed multiple FamiTracker import (Text + Binary) issues/crashes.
- Fixed potential desync in NSF/sound engine when using delayed notes.
- Fixed various issues with expansion instruments UI (sliders/checkboxes for VRC7/FDS/N163).
- Fixed import of older FamiStudio text files (pre 2.3.0).
- Fixed NSF/sound engine crash when exporting empty arpeggios.
- Fixed issue with arpeggios sometimes persisting when a song loops.
Version 2.3.1 (Linux Hotfix)
- Fix startup crash on Linux.
- MP3 export
- Video export
- Song merge functionality
- Duty cycle effect track support (equivalent of Vxx in FamiTracker)
- Special paste improvements (repeat, effects, etc.)
- Special delete
- Copy patterns to different channels in sequencer
- Option to display note labels in piano roll
- FamiTracker tempo improvements (delayed notes, cuts, fixes).
- Added support for Cxx (Halt) FamiTracker effect.
- Option to export each channel to a seperate WAV/MP3 file.
- Small DPCM improvements (Drag & drop, bit reverse option)
- Small tempo improvements
- Sound engine code size reduction
Version 2.2.1 (Hotfix)
- Fixed import of slide notes from FamiStudio Text format.
- Added option to not trim unused data when exporting to FamiStudio Text format.
- Fixed crash when exporting to some formats on MacOS
- Fixed crash when exporting FamiStudio/FamiTone2 SFX longer than 256 bytes.
- Fixed glibc dependency issue on Linux that go introduced in 2.2.0.
- Recording mode to record note-by-note using MIDI controller or QWERTY keyboard
- Arpeggio support
- Official FamiStudio Sound Engine release
- Follow mode
- Displaying the piano roll view range in the sequencer
- FDS disk export
- Basic tutorials for first time users
- Error logging when importing/exporting files
- Wav export loop count
- Option to disable dragging sounds when a song is playing
Version 2.1.1 (Hotfix)
- Fixed first frame not being audible when pressing play
- Fixed multiple crashes & issues when exporting to NSF
- Fixed missing notes on noise channel when importing NSFs
- Fixed import of FamiTracker FTM files that uses expansion audio
- Fixed incorrect DPCM samples alignment when exporting NSF, ROM & FamiTone2
- Renaming .so files on Linux to support older version of Mono
- Setting correct file extension when saving on Linux
- FamiTone2 sound effect export fixes
- First Linux release
- Trackpad controls
- Note snapping in the piano roll
- New time format (MM:SS:mmm)
- Command-line interface
- Import of instruments from any supported format
- Duplication of patterns in the sequencer
- Mix paste
- Improved WAV export
- FamiTone2 sound effect export support
- Support for pasting text values in envelopes (comma, semicolon, space, tab or newline seperated)
- PAL native authoring for FamiStudio tempo
- MacOS+Linux MIDI keyboard support
- Shift+Space plays from the beginning of the song
- Alt+Right click up/down as an alternate zooming method
- There was a bug in 2.0.x where release notes would abrutly interrupt slide notes (the NSF was doing it correctly). This is no longer the case.
Version 2.0.3 (Hotfix)
- Fix crash when clicking on a note when a incompatible instrument is selected.
- Fix WAV file export when using a sample rate different than 44100Hz.
Version 2.0.2 (Hotfix)
- Fixing seek bar position in sequencer on Hi-DPI (Retina on MacOS or scaling > 100% on Windows).
- Fixing crash when importing FTM containing multiple songs with the same name.
- Fixing missing or out-of-order songs when exporting to FamiTone2.
- Interpreting zero-velocity MIDI note on events as note off as per specification.
- Highlighting notes being dragged on the piano roll.
- Detection of audio device changes on Windows 7.
- Handling of D3D device lost to improve stability on Windows 7.
Version 2.0.1 (Hotfix)
- Hotfix for 150% scaling crash.
- More audio expansions: FDS, MMC5, VRC7, Namco 163 & Sunsoft S5B.
- Real-time expansion instrument parameters edition
- NSF import
- Note drag & drop with audio preview
- FamiTracker FTM import
- ROM export
- Fine pitch effect track
- New tempo mode
- PAL support
- FamiStudio text import/export
- Custom pattern settings and loop point
- VRC6 saw is no longer affected by duty. The 0 to 15 volume range will map to the entire 0 to 31 possible range. Songs using VRC6 created prior to 2.0.0 will have to cut the volume in half to sound the same (either using volume track or instrument envelope).
- Notes without attack will remain without attack until a new note with attack is reached (even after a stop note).
- VRC6 audio expansion support
- Slide notes
- Vibrato effect
- Workaround "pops" on square channels (Blargg's smooth vibrato technique)
- NSF improvements
- Ability to remove attack on notes
- Relative pitch envelopes
- Jumps and skips will now be applied at the END of the frame, as opposed to the beginning. This is how FamiTracker and the rest of the world does it.
- Selection, cut, copy & paste support for piano roll and sequencer
- FamiTracker instrument file import (thanks @Tgamemaker!)
- More helpful tooltips
- Bug fixes and improvements
Version 1.2.1 (Hotfix)
- Windows 7 hotfix
- macOS support
- Extended note range to 8 octaves
- Volume tracks support
- Release envelopes & release notes
- Hi-DPI support (100%, 150% and 200% scaling on Windows, Retina on macOS)
- Config dialog
- MIDI improvements (device selection and note release)
- Improved NSF memory usage
- Misc bug fixes
- New export dialog
- Added WAV export
- Added FamiTracker Text export (see the wiki for limitations)
- Added NSF export (see the wiki for limitations)
- Bug fixes and code refactoring.