Version history / release notes for each release.
To download older versions or view the release dates, please visit the Github Releases page.
Version 4.1.3 (Hotfix)
- Fixed "pop" when opening N163 projects or playing N163 songs
- Fixed colors becoming progressively washed out when performing specific actions on Android
- Fixed overwrite confirmation dialog not appearing if you type the exact same name of an existing project on Android
- Fixed issue where envelope editor would let you set releases on FDS waveform
- Fixed "Unassign unused DPCM instrument keys" cleanup option not working if another DPCM instrument was using the same piano key
- Fixed bug introduced in 4.1.2 where notes were replaying their attack if a gap was left between the notes
- Fixed issue where note attacks were re-triggers unconditionally when crossing the loop point when exporting to NSF/ROM/SoundEngine
- Fixed loophole where you could disable note attacks on the DPCM channel by duplicating patterns
- Fixed DPCM samples not importing correctly from FamiTracker TXT files
- Fixed issue where arpeggios imported from FamiTracker files would not play sometimes
- Fixed issue when exporting N163 songs to NSF/ROM/FDS/SoundEngine with instrument names only differentiated by special characters
- Fixed QWERTY piano input getting stuck if pressing another key while holding a key
- Names that are too long to fit in the project explorer are now truncated with ellipsis (...) on Desktop (was already the case on Mobile)
- Upgraded to Android API level 33 (Android 13.0)
Version 4.1.2 (Hotfix)
- Fixed instrument context menu disappearing when using a left-click
- Fixed "Follow Mode" jittering when using small % values
- Fixed out of range volumes when importing .fti containing FDS instruments
- Fixed effect icons sometimes visible past the end of a pattern
- Fixed issue where instruments fail to load properly when a stop note is used before any other notes
- Fixed crash when playing a note from all channels with all expansions enabled
- Fixed a couple of minor issues with demo songs
- Fixed N163 emulation issue where waves where not properly biased by -8
- OPNI instrument import support for EPSM instruments (Perkka contribution)
- Minor localization fixes
- An APK of the Android version is now available for download, but no support will be provided if it does not work on your device
- Songs using 7 or 8 N163 channels may sound slight quieter now and volume might react a bit differently as well
Version 4.1.1 (Hotfix)
- Fixed DPCM samples not playing when exporting to ROM with VRC6
- Fixed transposition of DPCM samples incorrectly affecting all instruments
- Fixed "Clear effect values" not always working
- Fixed startup crashes with rtmidi on Linux and updating the version we provide
- Fixed export of DPCM samples with FamiStudio Text format
- Fixed file association on Windows when using the portable EXE version
- Fixed file association on MacOS not always working
- Fixed first mouse click outside a context menu being ignored (will behave like 4.0.x)
- Fixed occasional crash on MacOS when using Cmd+Q
- Fixed issues with MIDI device on MacOS
- Fixed trackpad controls on MacOS
- Fixed keyboard shortcut confusion with select/force display channels
- Fixed minor localization issues.
- Changed the ffmpeg path option to allow text input, and allow using ffmpeg if its on the PATH
- Changed the default keyboard shortcut to force display channel to SHIFT + F-keys on MacOS to avoid issues
- DPCM improvements:
- No more "DPCM instrument", each instrument can have DPCM samples assigned (a-la FamiTracker)
- Up to 256KB of samples using bank switching.
- Configurable keyboard shortcuts
- Text rendering changes, small text may look slightly blurrier.
- More UI scaling % options
- More context menus options throughout the app
- Option to mix N163 or not
- Project explorer sorting improvements
- NSF import support on Android
- Stereo and delay export support on Android.
- Sunsoft 5B noise support (Perkka contribution)
- VGM & WAV code cleanup (alexmush contribution)
- VGM import support (Perkka & alexmush contribution)
- Spanish (NicolAR, zukinnyk and LagMager contribution)
- Portuguese (BeepsNBoops contribution)
- Simplified chinese (xwjcool123 and FRC contribution)
System Requirement Changes:
- Windows version is now 64-bit and targets .NET 5.0.
- Linux/MacOS versions now uses .NET 6.0. Mono is not longer used (See installation page for .NET download links)
- MacOS now requires at least Catalina and will run natively on ARM if you install the ARM version of .NET
- All desktop version now requires OpenGL 3.3.
- Android version now requires OpenGL ES 2.0.
- Windows 7 and 32-bit systems are longer supported.
Version 4.0.6 (Hotfix)
- Fixed issue where modifying the N163 repeat envelope would sometimes reset the loop point.
Version 4.0.5 (Hotfix)
- Added option for default pattern name
- Added option to rewind to the previous position when stopping playback
- Added warning when user is editing an arpeggio different than the currently selected one
- Added a proper warning when songs are too big to be exported to NSF, ROM or sound engine
- Allowed longer pattern on NSF import
- Fixed crash when using pattern length of 2048 frames
- Fixed opening of NSF when FamiStudio is set to the default app
- Fixed glitch that could cause visual overlap of notes in piano roll
- Fixed notes ending prematurely near the end of songs
- Fixed crash when exporting to NSF, ROM or sound engine with certain vibrato settings
- Fixed multiple issues when importing instruments from other projects
- Fixed issue causing exported NSFe to start at song #2.
- Fixed crash when MIDI notes are out of range.
- Fixed rasterization issue in the pattern thumbnails
- Fixed multiple FamiTracker (FTM/TXT) import/export issues
- Fixed minor annoyances in the piano roll on mobile
- Fixed app crashing when using more than 2GB of RAM on Windows
- Fixed loophole where the FDS envelopes could be cleared/resized
- Fixed various issues with dropdown list scrollbars
- Fixed crash when exporting video with lots of channels
- Fixed releases for VRC7 and EPSM
- Fixed multiple inconsistencies and improved the register viewer (Thanks alexmush!)
Sound Engine changes/fixes:
- Fixed inconsistencies with vibrato with the main app
- Fixed issues with relative pitch envelopes
- Fixed notes always reapply instruments on EPSM FM Channel 4,5,6 in NSF driver (Thanks Perkka!)
- Fixed EPSM rhythm occasionally missing beats (Thanks Perkka!)
- Fixed volume being off by one for EPSM (Thanks Perkka!)
- The register viewer will now show the real note pitches and wont necessarily match the notes on the piano roll
- Vibrato depths of more than 13 cant unfortunately be supported in the sound engine at the moment. A warning will be given instead of producing the wrong result.
- Releases for VRC7/EPSM instrument will now be handled correctly. That was always the intention, but a bug was preventing them from working
Version 4.0.4 (Hotfix)
- Fixed video export when there are more than 32 channels in a project.
Version 4.0.3 (Hotfix)
- Fixed drop-down lists requiring double-clicks.
Version 4.0.2 (Hotfix)
- Added option for trigger algorithm in oscilloscope export (desktop only)
- Fixed files without extensions not displaying correctly in the file dialog on Linux
- Fixed drag & drop of files containing unicode characters
- Fixed crash when saving with CTRL+S while editing something
- Fixed crash when exporting NSF/ROM with instrument containing dashes in their names
- Fixed crash when attempting to export a FDS project as a NES ROM
- Fixed crash when importing NSF containing non-ASCII characters on Linux/MacOS
- Fixed crash when importing some Famitracker modules/instruments with N163 instruments
- Added safeguards for import of Famitracker N163 instruments that were generated in forks
- Added option for Alt+Right-click zoom gesture (Input section of the settings), off by default
- Fixed typos
Version 4.0.1 (Linux & Android Hotfix)
- Fixed file dialog on Linux.
- Fixed some piano touches being ignored on Android.
- Revamped desktop version :
- Redesigned controls, more similar to mobile version : Context menus, Gizmos, etc.
- Based on GLFW using custom drawn widgets, consistent across Win/MacOS/Linux
- Getting rid of all dependencies to OpenTK, WinForms, GTK# and System.Drawing in preparation to eventual migration to modern .NET.
- Animated GIFs for intro tutorial
- More control over sequencer height and ability to hide unused channels on desktop
- Support to multiple audio expansions with EPSM
- Support for multiple waveforms for N163
- Support for single audio expansions for ROM export
- Wave resampling for N163/FDS waveforms, import WAV files and adjust period & offset.
- Basic NSFe export support, only track names and durations for now.
- Improved oscilloscope stability:
- Use of emulation-generated triggers when rendering oscilloscope in exported video or in toolbar when previewing instruments.
- Improved trigger detection for toolbar oscilloscope when playing a song (using "peak speed trigger" algorithm).
- Audio delay effect when exporting video or audio.
- Snapping improvements, most notably:
- Alt+1, Alt+2, Alt+3 and Alt+4 quickly changes between common snapping values
- Hold Alt anytime when resizing or moving notes to temporarily disable snapping
- Context menu to set snapping to a specific note duration
- Option to snap effect values
- The sound engine now has a dedicated define for release note. If you use release notes you now must set
Version 3.3.1 (Hotfix)
- Fixed crash when exporting (or cancelling export) to audio or video
- Fixed crash when undo-ing certain manipulations in the Sequencer
- Allowing register viewer on Mobile (off by default)
- EPSM support (Thanks Perkka!)
- Register viewer (desktop version only)
- Delta Counter (Zxx) effect support
- Ability to override initial DMC value for each sample assignment
- VGM export (Thanks Perkka!)
- Bamboo Tracker instruments import (desktop version only) (Thanks Perkka!)
- Minor cosmetic changes (ADSR diagrams, tabs in instrument editor, etc.)
- CTRL+A selects all patterns/notes in sequencer/piano roll on desktop
- Additional selection options on mobile (select note/pattern/all)
- Option not to clamp periods/notes to make the app behave more like the NSF driver
- Experimental file association on MacOS (Thanks beetrootpaul!)
- Tons of small bugfixes (N163 tuning, crashes, etc.)
Version 3.2.3 (Hotfix)
- Fixed OpenGL crash at startup when SDL2.dll is found
- Fixed export to sound engine when using an audio expansion
- Fixed release of wrong instrument being played when editing envelopes
- Fixed FTM import of some noise channel notes
- Clamping pitch values to the range supported by FamiStudio (-64...63) when importing Famitracker files
- Added a new tutorial about snapping
- Saving snap settings to INI file
Version 3.2.2 (Hotfix)
- Fixed issue where some effect values could go beyond their intended range, and lead to crashes desktop.
- Fixed FDS modulation on Mobile.
- Fixed crash in MIDI import dialog when lots of channels are present (desktop only)
- Potential CPU/GPU usage reduction on some computers (desktop only)
Version 3.2.1 (Hotfix)
- Added option to disable vibration (new "Mobile" section of Settings)
- Added support for importing 8-bit and 24-bit WAV files for DPCM samples.
- Added support for importing NSF2, if they do not use any of the advanced features.
- Fixed FamiTracker text export not asking for a filename.
- Fixed DPCM samples not playing if placing the seek bar exactly on their attack.
- Fixed NSF export tempo issue when using grooves in specific situations.
- Creating new effect values will respect snapping on mobile.
- Drawing note attacks for force display channel to help readability.
- Fixed an issue with release note that are beyond the visual duration of the note.
- Correct emulation of Tri-Noise-DMC volumes when using stereo export (+hidden INI option to also do it for separate channels)
- Experimental "double-tap to delete patterns/note" option (off by default)
- Minor UI tweaks (hit boxes of buttons, zoom levels, scroll bar issues, etc.).
- Android app (free on Play Store)
- Multi-expansion support
- Proper emulation of triangle/noise/DPCM volume interactions
- Significant graphic optimizations, especially on lower-end machines or large projects.
- Minor quality of life features
- Minor cosmetic UI changes (icons, envelope editor, coloring piano with DPCM colors, etc.)
- Snapping precision is now expressed in beats. So with the default settings, 1 means a quarter note.
- Channel volumes have been slightly adjusted to match the NES hardware more closely.
Version 3.1.1 (Hotfix)
- Fixed piano roll piano keys not highlighting when exporting video
- Fixed application stalling when closing on MacOS
- Fixed "advanced properties" buttons growing when using >100% scaling on Windows
- Adding failsafe when time signature cannot be computed when exporting MIDI
- Associating FMS files with FamiStudio on startup in portable mode
- Experimental support for OpenH264 in video export
- OGG export
- Oscilloscope video export
- Stereo WAV/MP3/OGG/Video export
- Noise slides
- Volume slides
- Noise emulation improvements
- Portable mode (save settings in root folder if portable.txt is detected)
- Import samples from other projects
- Loop in selection mode
- ROM export now uses MMC3 mapper
- Fine tuning + DMC initial value parameters on DPCM samples
- Option to auto-save copy every 2 minutes
- Option for thicker scroll bars
- Minor sequencer selection improvements
- MacOS Monterey Beta support, Beta 3 or newer needed (Thanks OpenTK team!)
- Sound Engine CC65 bindings (Contribution from jroweboy!)
- Pattern numbers in the sequencer and piano roll now start at 1 instead of 0. This is a purely esthetic change and does not impact anything.
Version 3.0.2 (Hotfix)
- Fixed crash when pasting past the end of an envelope
- Fixed FamiTracker (FTM/TXT) import when a jump or skip effect is exactly at row 255
- Fixed FamiStudio corrupting the keyboard state on some European keyboards
- Fixed oscilloscope vertical orientation in toolbar + video export
- Fixed crash when using 150% scaling on Linux
- Fixed crash when parsing FamiStudio text file using VRC6 expansion.
- Fixed fine effect adjustment (shift + drag) again
- Stopping all audio when undo/redo happens to change the selected song
- Showing all 8 channels when importing MIDI using N163 expansion
- Added error message when trying to import a corrupted WAV file
- Made auto-scrolling when selecting more gradual in both sequencer and piano roll.
Version 3.0.1 (Hotfix)
- Fixed crash on startup on Linux when RtMidi fails to initialize
- Fixed fine effect adjustment (SHIFT + drag) when multiple values are selected
- Fixed race condition when stopping song playback that could cause a crash
- Fixed small OpenGL leaks
- Fixed pattern duplication when CTRL+SHIFT were already pressed when starting the drag
- Fixed import of MIDI files containing polyphonic key pressure events
- Fixed duplicated labels when exporting projects containing multiple songs to Famitone2 or FamiStudio sound engine
- Fixed crash when double clicking or left clicking in some cells of grids
- Fixed export of VRC6 duty cycles to FamiTracker
- Properly shutting down MIDI input on Windows
- Adding error message when trying to import NSF using multiple expansion chips
- Redesigned FamiStudio tempo
- Redesigned note editing
- MIDI import/export support
- Oscilloscope in toolbar
- Optional scrollbars
- Revamped Mac version
- 1/2 and 1/4 playback speed
- Configurable QWERTY keyboard keys
- Improved sound engine music data compression (15-30% smaller)
- Audio expansion volume/low-pass filter configuration
- S5B and VRC7 and now properly low-pass filtered
- Ability to re-order songs
- Hi-DPI support on Linux
- Quick DPCM source data reload
- Improved video rendering speed
- Setting a zero volume on the volume track of the triangle channel will now stop the sound. This was always the intention (this is what SoundEngine/NSF and FamiTracker does) but it was not correctly implemented inside FamiStudio.
Version 2.4.2 (Hotfix)
- Fixed crash on startup.
- Fixed crash when exporting SFX to sound engine from command-line.
Version 2.4.1 (Hotfix)
- Fixed corruption when importing looping samples from .FTI files.
- Fixed minor graphical issue in piano roll.
- Fixed issues on Windows 7 installations that are missing some D3D11 components such as KB2670838.
- Removed 320 kbps MP3 export option since it creates choppy audio.
- Basic DPCM sample editor
- Darker theme and more color choices
- Ability to use QWERTY keyboard input without using recording mode
- Slightly reduced audio latency and configurable number of buffered frames
- Right-clicking anywhere in the background also starts a selection
- Seek bar can be dragged and respects snapping precision
- Pattern duplication preserves names when possible
- Instrument picker tool (hold "I" + click on a note)
- Paste special in Sequencer
- Pattern are created automatically when adding notes.
- Quickly repeat last export by right clicking button or CTRL+SHIFT+E
- Edit multiple custom patterns at once
- Video export resolution/framerate options (Contributed by Thomas McGrew)
- Multiple VRC7 fixes
- Multiple FamiTracker fixes
- Multiple sound engine improvements & fixes
- Blaarg smooth vibrato support for SFX
- Unlimited SFX size (Contributed by Brad Smith)
- Linker support in CA65 (Based on idea by Brad Smith)
- Songs will always be sorted alphabetically. This include songs loaded from any file format. This was always the intention but was poorly enforced in previous versions.
- There was a bug in 2.3.x where instrument with volume envelope consisting exclusively of zeroes would play at full volume. This is no longer the case and the instruments will be silent.
Version 2.3.2 (Hotfix)
- Added loop count to video export.
- Fixed scaling issues on Retina display.
- Fixed lingering noise when dragging/adding notes in VRC7.
- Fixed multiple FamiTracker import (Text + Binary) issues/crashes.
- Fixed potential de-sync in NSF/sound engine when using delayed notes.
- Fixed various issues with expansion instruments UI (sliders/checkboxes for VRC7/FDS/N163).
- Fixed import of older FamiStudio text files (pre 2.3.0).
- Fixed NSF/sound engine crash when exporting empty arpeggios.
- Fixed issue with arpeggios sometimes persisting when a song loops.
Version 2.3.1 (Linux Hotfix)
- Fix startup crash on Linux.
- MP3 export
- Video export
- Song merge functionality
- Duty cycle effect track support (equivalent of Vxx in FamiTracker)
- Special paste improvements (repeat, effects, etc.)
- Special delete
- Copy patterns to different channels in sequencer
- Option to display note labels in piano roll
- FamiTracker tempo improvements (delayed notes, cuts, fixes).
- Added support for Cxx (Halt) FamiTracker effect.
- Option to export each channel to a separate WAV/MP3 file.
- Small DPCM improvements (Drag & drop, bit reverse option)
- Small tempo improvements
- Sound engine code size reduction
Version 2.2.1 (Hotfix)
- Fixed import of slide notes from FamiStudio Text format.
- Added option to not trim unused data when exporting to FamiStudio Text format.
- Fixed crash when exporting to some formats on MacOS
- Fixed crash when exporting FamiStudio/FamiTone2 SFX longer than 256 bytes.
- Fixed glibc dependency issue on Linux that go introduced in 2.2.0.
- Recording mode to record note-by-note using MIDI controller or QWERTY keyboard
- Arpeggio support
- Official FamiStudio Sound Engine release
- Follow mode
- Displaying the piano roll view range in the sequencer
- FDS disk export
- Basic tutorials for first time users
- Error logging when importing/exporting files
- Wav export loop count
- Option to disable dragging sounds when a song is playing
Version 2.1.1 (Hotfix)
- Fixed first frame not being audible when pressing play
- Fixed multiple crashes & issues when exporting to NSF
- Fixed missing notes on noise channel when importing NSFs
- Fixed import of FamiTracker FTM files that uses expansion audio
- Fixed incorrect DPCM samples alignment when exporting NSF, ROM & FamiTone2
- Renaming .so files on Linux to support older version of Mono
- Setting correct file extension when saving on Linux
- FamiTone2 sound effect export fixes
- First Linux release
- Trackpad controls
- Note snapping in the piano roll
- New time format (MM:SS:mmm)
- Command-line interface
- Import of instruments from any supported format
- Duplication of patterns in the sequencer
- Mix paste
- Improved WAV export
- FamiTone2 sound effect export support
- Support for pasting text values in envelopes (comma, semicolon, space, tab or newline seperated)
- PAL native authoring for FamiStudio tempo
- MacOS+Linux MIDI keyboard support
- Shift+Space plays from the beginning of the song
- Alt+Right click up/down as an alternate zooming method
- There was a bug in 2.0.x where release notes would abrutly interrupt slide notes (the NSF was doing it correctly). This is no longer the case.
Version 2.0.3 (Hotfix)
- Fix crash when clicking on a note when a incompatible instrument is selected.
- Fix WAV file export when using a sample rate different than 44100Hz.
Version 2.0.2 (Hotfix)
- Fixing seek bar position in sequencer on Hi-DPI (Retina on MacOS or scaling > 100% on Windows).
- Fixing crash when importing FTM containing multiple songs with the same name.
- Fixing missing or out-of-order songs when exporting to FamiTone2.
- Interpreting zero-velocity MIDI note on events as note off as per specification.
- Highlighting notes being dragged on the piano roll.
- Detection of audio device changes on Windows 7.
- Handling of D3D device lost to improve stability on Windows 7.
Version 2.0.1 (Hotfix)
- Hotfix for 150% scaling crash.
- More audio expansions: FDS, MMC5, VRC7, Namco 163 & Sunsoft S5B.
- Real-time expansion instrument parameters edition
- NSF import
- Note drag & drop with audio preview
- FamiTracker FTM import
- ROM export
- Fine pitch effect track
- New tempo mode
- PAL support
- FamiStudio text import/export
- Custom pattern settings and loop point
- VRC6 saw is no longer affected by duty. The 0 to 15 volume range will map to the entire 0 to 31 possible range. Songs using VRC6 created prior to 2.0.0 will have to cut the volume in half to sound the same (either using volume track or instrument envelope).
- Notes without attack will remain without attack until a new note with attack is reached (even after a stop note).
- VRC6 audio expansion support
- Slide notes
- Vibrato effect
- Workaround "pops" on square channels (Blaarg's smooth vibrato technique)
- NSF improvements
- Ability to remove attack on notes
- Relative pitch envelopes
- Jumps and skips will now be applied at the END of the frame, as opposed to the beginning. This is how FamiTracker and the rest of the world does it.
- Selection, cut, copy & paste support for piano roll and sequencer
- FamiTracker instrument file import (thanks @Tgamemaker!)
- More helpful tooltips
- Bug fixes and improvements
Version 1.2.1 (Hotfix)
- Windows 7 hotfix
- macOS support
- Extended note range to 8 octaves
- Volume tracks support
- Release envelopes & release notes
- Hi-DPI support (100%, 150% and 200% scaling on Windows, Retina on macOS)
- Config dialog
- MIDI improvements (device selection and note release)
- Improved NSF memory usage
- Misc bug fixes
- New export dialog
- Added WAV export
- Added FamiTracker Text export (see the wiki for limitations)
- Added NSF export (see the wiki for limitations)
- Bug fixes and code refactoring.